Friday, April 1, 2011

VennTangle challenge

Well, this was FUN! I approached it all scientific and stuff and then it just turned into fun! It IS Zentangle after all.

'Ptrish40' (AKA Patty of the "Zentangle Inspired Art" Yahoo group) posted a challenge involving Venn diagrams and intersecting/combining tangles. She dubbed it "VennTangles". Sounds scientificky, no?

Once I'd grasped the concept of the pencil string (last spring at the CZT seminar), I've loved the way tangle patterns morph into other patterns. This can be particularly cool when the tangles share structural elements. Oops, getting sciency there. Anyway, I decided to see what morphing might take place with this Venn idea for combining patterns.

I did the first one on a Zentangle tile. I tried to make it easy on myself by choosing tangles all based on a grid: Cubine, Dex, and Florez (by Andrea Schuman).


I was pleased enough with the result to try more. I found the central space rather tiny for trying to scrunch three tangles into, so I decided to try two-circle VennTangles on ATC sized paper. For the first, I chose two current favorite tangles, Finery and Coaster (by Carole Ohl). I was pleasantly surprised at how well they mashed together.


I tried to think ahead as to how the two tangles might combine, but I didn't want them to be too similar. I chose a tangle based on a grid and a tangle based on circles: Knightsbridge and Lotus Pods.


Confidence growing, I wanted two really different tangles (at least to my eyes). I've seen and liked the spidery, elegant Efilys (by Sandra Strait) but had never done it before. I chose it and the blocky and child-like Vermal. I prepared for disaster. I drew. Hunh! Not too bad at all!



Using only two circles was going rather well so I decided to take another shot at three circles. But that center really was too small. I used a Zentangle tile again, but this time I used a larger circle template and ran them all off the edge. I chose some simple and fairly basic tangles: Hollibaugh, N'zeppel, and Tipple. It's quite a development from my first attempt!


I found the shading to be very important. For one thing, it can help separate the circles if they flow too much together.

What a marvelous idea! I've discovered a whole new way for tangles to work together! Thanks Patty/ptrish!!! Must. Do. More...

11 comments:

  1. These are absolutely fantastic!! I especially love how the Efilys and Vermal fit together. I'm putting together the pieces for mine now, and it's inspiring to see how yours fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm blown away! These are wonderful, my favorite is the last one, the orbs really mingle together as do the tangles. Looks addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... that does it!! I've been lurking on the 'outskirts' of the ZIA group. Looking but not yet having the time to play. But, after seeing these, I simply have to do some of them! After I've tangled a trojan horse this weekend (don't ask!), I'll be venn-tangling! You're such an inspiration, Margaret. Thank you. xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Margaret, these are so cool! I missed this challenge and will need to check it out. You did a wonderful job on these, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like 'em! They remind me of ameoba - are the dividing, or joining together?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Margaret! You are now the Zen master of VennTangles!!! These are fantastic! You really get it - how to combine the elements of the different tangles. I can get it in my head - but it was a real brain workout putting it down on paper! Thanks for sharing - looking forward to seeing more of your creations! Patty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Razzamatazz, more magic, your tiles are tantalising. I have to go and try this right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful! I'm so inspired but intimidated at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I teach art and this looks like a fun way to have students mix patterns together. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this last when googling circles for inspiration for Joey's latest tangle and you really inspired me. I had great fun giving something similar a go, so thank you! I love all your tangles.

    ReplyDelete