Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Red Thread (AEDM #22)

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet
regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch
or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

I was a little concerned about this challenge. As I worked on a tile it seemed as if the red "thread" was in danger of disappearing among all the black tangles. Not to worry. That delicate connection that links us to each other is stronger than that! Here are my two efforts. I tried shading around the thread to look as if it's off the paper a little. In the first, the thread looks more like a ribbon.

Tangles: Assunta, Beadlines, Clockwises, Crescent Moon,
Hopscotch, Organza, Spinners
Tangles: Assunta, Crescent Moon, Jetties,
Lacing, Lotus Pods, 'Nzeppel, Tipple

For Art Every Day Month today, I'm incorporating some of the new tangles I've been trying recently, Clockwises and Hopscotch. I'm also trying a few that I haven't used much, Jetties, Lacing and Organza.

 Cris Letourneau, this week's guest challenger, wrote about her friend Sonya who founded the charity Red Thread Promise. Cris says, "If you are inspired to help even more, I will be collecting actual tiles to be auctioned off to help raise money for the Red Thread Promise.  All tiles collected will be made into a poster that will be available for purchase.  Proceeds will also be used to help fund their mission. If you want to participate, you can find out how at my blog, Tangled Up in Art."

As my two tiles were lying on the desk I realized that the red threads could seem to flow from one to the other. Wouldn't it be fun if they could do that on the poster?!?



15 comments:

  1. Margaret, these are lovely and its so cool the way the threads are going together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thread which really do "thread"... especially through the laced edging, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tiles. I love the way the red thread intertwines with the "sewing". I also love the detail in the thread. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites of the challenge! I love how you made ribbon and then thread and they flow just like they should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both tiles are perfect.You did get much more then a "lift" ,it looks like its floating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Love Love these Margaret. Love the way the string is three dimentional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always your tiles are totally awesome. Thanks for the great inspiration they are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ribbon and wool that fit so gorgeously together are sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both the tangles are so beautiful, and while juxtaposed, the red thread does become invisible between the tiles, while giving connectivity!

    Dilip

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is AMAZING! What would I do without your inspirational posts! Ditto on the comment about the three dimensional quality!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margaret, these are my favorite tiles thus far...you've done a fantastic job with these and I do love how they look like the "go together"! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone. I was really pleased with how these turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love t he tiles! And yes, I was thinking the same thing about them all connecting together. If everyone started their string in about the middle of a side and ended in about the middle of another side then they should be able to be jig sawed around to look like they all match. How cool would that be! Sorry to have missed this challenge while away from civilization (although not sorry to have taken the break!). I look forward to next week's.

    ReplyDelete